Banya Bashi Mosque
Loading google map. Please wait!
18 Knyagina Maria Luiza Blvd.
Banya Bashi is the only functioning mosque in Sofia - a remnant of the Ottoman rule of Bulgaria. Banya Bashi Mosque was built on the initiative and with the financial support of the benefactor mullah Efendi Kadı Seyfullah. History: It was built in 1567 by the great Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan. Its walls are made of stone and bricks. The name "Banya Bashi" means "many baths", and it is built on natural mineral springs. It reflects the typical Muslim construction trends during the XVI century that stretched from Bulgaria to Egypt. The minaret of the mosque is an exquisite architectural work in itself. According to Evliya Çelebi - an Ottoman explorer, it was unparalleled in beauty in Sofia. The last renovation was in 2017.