PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN SOFIA
The public transport in Sofia is:
Ground Transport – buses, trams (tramways), and trolleybuses
Underground – Metro.
For more information about:
- routes, timetables and stops of the lines of the ground public transport, please visit www.sofiatraffic.bg/en/common
There are two metro lines in Sofia – M1 and M2. You can see the numbers of the lines on the front of the train. M1 line runs from Slivnitsa Metro Station to Business Park Metro Station. M2 line runs from Vitosha Metro Station through Obelya Metro Station to Sofia Airport. M1 and M2 intersect at Serdika Metro Station. You can see a map of the metro lines at https://www.metropolitan.bg/en/scheme/operating-metro M2 Line connects Sofia Airport Terminal 2 with the center of the city – at Sofia University Metro Station and Serdika Metro Station. The trip takes about 30 minutes. You can change the lines at Serdika Metro Station and go to Sofia Central Bus Station and Sofia Central Train Station. The metro trains from and to Sofia airport run from 5:30 to 24:00 on weekdays and holidays. For information about the routes and schedules, please visit https://www.metropolitan.bg/en/information-for-citizens/timetable
TRANSPORT DOCUMENTS (TICKETS AND PASSES) FOR THE METRO
A SINGLE-TRIP TRAVEL CARD (TICKET) FOR THE METRO
A single-trip travel card for the metro costs 1,60 BGN. It can be purchased from vending machines or at the metro cash-desks located next to the metro's entrances. The single-trip travel card for the metro has to be validated at the validators at the entrance to the metro stations. Each travel card can be used up to 30 minutes after being purchased. You should keep your travel card till the end of the trip. The following passes can also be bought at the metro cash-desks – a daily pass for all lines of the public transport system – 4 BGN (for daily transport services), as well as an electronic card issued ten metro single trips – BGN 12. It can be used also by a group of people. For more information visit https://www.metropolitan.bg/en/information-for-citizens/trip-cards-sofia-metro
TRANSPORTION DOCUMENTS (TICKETS AND PASSES) FOR THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN SOFIA
A SINGLE-TRIP TRAVEL CARD (TICKET) FOR GROUND PUBLIC TRANSPORT
The price of a single trip travel card is 1.60 BGN. It can be purchased from the driver or at kiosks of the Urban Mobility Center located at the bus stops. The travel card has to be perforated immediately after getting on the vehicle and it is valid only for that vehicle. You should keep your travel card till the end of the trip. Vending machines are installed in some trolleybuses and trams. The travel card purchased from them should not be perforated. There is also a card with vouchers for ten single trips for one passenger for ground transport. It can be purchased from the kiosks of the Urban Mobility Center and the vouchers have to be perforated too.
PASSES FOR GROUND AND UNDERGROUND PUBLIC TRANSPORT
The following passes can be bought at the kiosks of Sofia Urban Mobility Center:
- A daily pass for all lines of the public transport system (not valid for the night public transport) – 4 BGN; The daily pass is a paper ticket which has a barcode on it. Every time you use metro the barcode has to be first scanned/activated form the cashier at the cash desk and then you validate it at the validators at the entrance to the metro stations. The daily pass should not be perforated in bus, tram and trolleybus.
- An electronic three-day pass for all lines – BGN 12 (not valid for the night public transport).
- Sofia Pass - an electronic pass for all lines of the public transport on the territory of Sofia Municipality for 3 days which also gives you a discount at tourist and commercial sites – 20 BGN (not valid for the night public transport);
- Different types of personalized and non-personalized passes (not valid for the night public transport);
You can find more information about:
- The prices of all transportation documents in Sofia at https://www.sofiatraffic.bg/en/transport/tarifa-i-prevozni-dokumenti/702/tarifa
- The list of the kiosks of the Urban Mobility Center at https://www.sofiatraffic.bg/en/transport/punktove-za-prodazhba-na-prevozni/p/1
Pay for your travel with travel with your mobile phone.
Everyone who wants to travel with the public transportation in Sofia can buy a day or night pass using a mobile device.
Please, visit sofia.mpass.bg
NIGHT PUBLIC TRANSPORT IN SOFIA
In the city of Sofia, four bus lines run from midnight to 4 am. All the lines intersect in Sofia city center at Alexander Battenberg Square. The travel card for the all four night lines costs 2 BGN. It can be purchased only from the driver. You can find more information about the timetable of the night public transport at: https://www.sofiatraffic.bg/en/transport/night-transport
TRANSPORTION DOCUMENTS FOR THE NIGHT TRANSPORT
The night travel card for the four night lines costs 2 BGN. It can be purchased only from the driver. You should keep your travel card till the end of the travelling.