120 years ago, on January 1, 1901 (old style), the trams in the Bulgarian capital began operating. They ran on 6 lines with a total length of 23 kilometers. Passengers were transported by 25 streetcars and 10 coaches. The most used lines were from the Railway Station, to Lavov Most (Lions' Bridge), to Slaveykov Square and from Sveti Kral (Holy King) Church (today St Nedelya) to Knyazhevo. The latter was also the longest one - 8289 meters. The first trams were small, with open platforms that were fenced with metal bars. The saloon was divided into first and second class. The coaches were open, with the passengers getting on and off, while the conductor moved around on a special running board.
The anniversary was marked with an exhibition of public transport vehicles. In Alexander Nevsky Square, Sofia’s residents and guests had the opportunity to see retro trams, old models of restored buses, as well as the latest generation of public transport vehicles used in Sofia and other European cities. Free panoramic tours of the capital were organized with some of the exhibited vehicles.
Today, more than 800 city buses, trams, trolleybuses, and metro trains run through the streets of Sofia every day.