The building of Banya-Bashi Mosque
Loading google map. Please wait!
2 Maria Luiza Blvd.
Banya-Bashi Mosque. The name of the mosque, meaning “by the baths”, explains its belonging to a once Turkish complex including the beautiful marble building of the mineral baths. The mosque was built in 1566-1567 after the project of Mimar Sinan, the most eminent architect in the history of Ottoman Empire, thanks to the donations of Mollah Saifullah, a well-to-do judge, in the memory of his late wife. The walls were made of ashlars, the stone rows alternated with lines of red bricks. The central cupola was paneled with lead sheets.